Monday 17 November 2008

Total Racing Inc - Winter Training Camp

I'm very lucky to do a job that I love and every now and then I'm fortunate enough to get the chance to combine the job I love with some of my favourite pastimes. This weekend saw me heading 2 hours west to the Lake District to speak to a group of triathletes attending the Total Racing Inc Winter training camp.

Fifteen triathletes (including international triathlete and UK Ironman 70.3 Champion, Fraser Cartmell)had travelled to the Lake District to spend two days on the trails, taking in a range of activities from trail running, moutain biking and strength and conditioning. The weekend was the first of its kind and was the brainchild of Phil Gray, founder of T.R.I.

When I arrived the group had just returned from a morning run session through the hills and had just finished refuelling before getting ready for an afternoon out on the trails on their mountain bikes (good job my bike was on the roof rack!). This was my kind of weekend! We headed off onto some fantastic trails around Whinlatter Forest and whilst I was dropped on the ascents my MTB skills came into their own on the fast and technical descents.

At the end of the trail we returned to the accomodation and once everyone had cleaned themselves up I delivered two strength and conditioning sessions. The first session explored the potential that a good strength programme has to unlock a triathletes performance and the the second session focused on recovery and regeneration. The complimentary recovery drinks (GENR8 S2 and GENR8 Myoswitch) provided by the team from T.R.I really hit the spot and everyone commented on how great the new flavours tasted!

The Q&A session extended to the local pub where the refuelling continued, before I headed back home to Newcastle. A fantastic day in the lakes, great trails, a good group of riders and the chance to spread the word about strength and conditioning. Combine that with the opportunity to ride alongside someone as good as Fraser Cartmell and you have the making of a very good training camp.

I'm looking forward to attending the next camp in December, for more details check out http://www.multisportlink.com/

No comments: