Friday 17 July 2009

Fitness On The Go

I've had a pretty crazy week this week and I'm finishing it all off with an urban adventure race (The Rat Race) in Edinburgh - 2 days running and cycling around the city, with some kayaking, abseiling and other generally crazy activities thrown into the mix.
I'm managing to keep on top of my training during the final build up for the event with some short yet highly effective training sessions. This is one that I banged out in just 20 minutes between clients (that is a long session for me - most of my work is 5-10 minutes) - interestingly I had a medical yesterday as well (I'm asthmatic so I have to have an annual check on lung function etc - my scores were up on previous years...good news and due in no small part to my training).
Here's yesterdays training session.
Strength Circuit (15 seconds work :15 seconds recovery - repeat for total of 5 mins)
1. Jump Squats
2. DB Swings
3. Push Ups
4. Mountain climbers
Tabata Row
Set the ergometer to 3 on the resistance and then complete 8 repetitions of 20s work : 10s recovery
At this point I was ready to drop and was getting some odd looks from the gym bunnies that were doing their steady state cardio whilst watching TV and reading books! Knowing I had a bit of extra time I went at it again and repeated the sequence. BRUTAL!
I'm really enjoying my training at the moment and the intensity is really what does it for me. If you are also looking to get in great shape and drop some fat, and are looking to do it in a hurry then check out Craig Ballantynes - Turbulance Training. This programme is a very time efficient, short workout programme that builds muscle and burns fat without you having to spend hours in the gym. I love it!

No comments: